Thursday, March 3, 2011

Spicy Fish Soup (maeuntang)

COLD, RAINY, SNOWY, WINDY =
Soup Season!
I know I said I'd do other recipes first, but I realized I forget how I cooked many of them, because I usually cook by hand (ie. no measuring). From now I will try to post within a few days of cooking ^_^;

Now I'm not a big fan of cooked fish, so I was hesitant to make this. But I saw them make it on Family Outing so many times, I just had to try it! To my surprise, it turned out pretty good. Also if you eat it with a grilled cheese sandwich it tastes amazing!
Here is the recipe, keep in mind since I do fusion cooking, some ingredients are excluded, substituted or added (ie. no water cress or chrysanthemum - can't find these greens!)

Soup Base: boil first while you cut veggies.
- half pot water
- 2-3 tbs fish sauce or sub. with katsuo (fish) flakes
- good sprinkling of dashi
- small piece of kombu (you can take this out after it boils for a bit or it will be too strong)
- 1.5 tablespoon sake
- 2-3tbs hot pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1-2 tbs hot pepper paste (gochujang)
- 1 small sliver garlic minced
- ginger is optional but I don't really like it so use at your own risk
- dash of sea salt

The rest in order of cooking: first ones take longer to cook dakara ^_~
- Daikon radish
- Carrots
- Fish (i use fish I have frozen so it takes longer, but if its fresh cook it with the green onion)
- Mushroom
- Soft tofu (the one in the tube)
- Green onion
- Other veggies you like - eggplant or broccoli are good additions
PS. - Clams or snails make great additions (but here they are hard to get so..)

Since this is soup I don't have to tell you, but boil till your daikon can be cut through with a spoon. And Voila you are done, this makes great leftover btw! Only your office may smell (pleasantly) of fish hehe.
Enjoy!

No comments: